The first step to join Ethica community is to install Ethica Health app. You can follow these steps in order to install Ethica Health:
- Go to Android's home screen
- Open list of applications by tapping on small grid of circles at the bottom of the screen.
- Find and tap on Play Store to go to the store
- Tap on the search box on the top of the screen. This will show the keyboard and allows you to search for an app
- Type ethica health in the search box, and press the search button on the keyboard.
- Tap on Ethica Health app. This will open the screen with the information about Ethica Health app.
- Tap in Install to start the installation.
- At this point, Android will show you a list of permissions this app requires. Please review and accept the requested permissions. If you want to know more about the permissions and why we are asking each of them, you can read in Permissions section.
- Wait for the installation to finish. When done, tap on Open button that appears.
Ethica Health requests a series of permissions during installation. Here we describe what each of these permissions are and why Ethica needs them:
- Location: Some studies need to record location of the participants during the study, using GPS. Ethica asks permission to access GPS, so for the studies that require monitoring location, it can collect the required data. You can always see the GPS data collected from your device on your online account, and delete them if you don't like it to be recorded.
- Photos/Media/Files: While you are participating in a study, Ethica periodically collects the data requested by that study, and after encrypting them, stores them on the disk so it can be uploaded in the future. In order to do so, Ethica requests to have access to your SD card (if you have any) to store the collected data.
- Microphone: Most of the studies have some surveys which they ask you at different times. Some of these surveys include questions where you have to record your response as an audio. In order to be able to record your response to these audio questions, Ethica needs to have access to your microphone.
- Wi-Fi connection information: This data is used to better estimate your location when you are inside buildings or in densely constructed buildings. Ethica also uses information from your Wi-Fi connectivity to optimize its GPS readings, and increase your battery life time.
- Bluetooth connection information: Similar to GPS, Wi-Fi, and other built-in sensors, when a study requests collecting Bluetooth data from participants, Ethica uses this permission to collect the requested data. The data collected by Ethica here is very similar to the list you see when you scan for other Bluetooth devices in proximity using your device.