There are two ways to join a study. Either you have a registration code, which you can enter and participate, or you have a web link (or QR code) for the study. Here we explain how you can join a study, using each of these methods.
Using a Registration Code
Each study has a registration code. If you have received a registration code from the study organizers, you can use the following steps to join the study:
- Start by tapping on the + sign, on the top right corner of the screen.
In smaller screens, if the + icon does not fit on the screen, Android moves it to a menu and shows a menu icon instead. In this case, tap on the menu icon and select Study registration
- In the dialog that opens, enter your registration code, and tap on Register.
- Ethica will find the information about the study and present them in Study Registration page. Take your time and read this page carefully. When done, you can tap on Register to enroll in the study.
If the study description presented here is too long, or you don't have time right now to read it, you can press Register to join for now. You will have access to this content after this through Ethica's home page as well. Also you always can change your mind and leave the study if you feel uncomfortable with the study.
Using a Web Link
If you have received a web link for a study, you can follow these steps to participate:
- Open the link in a browser. If you have a QR code, you can scan the code in your phone and the link will be opened automatically in your browser.
- At the bottom of the web page for the study, tap on Join the study.
- A new page opens asking you to install Ethica Health app in order to participate. Tap on the link to download Ethica Health from Google Play Store.
- Install the app as it was explained before in Downloading the app section.
- When the installation is done, open the app by tapping on Open. You will notice the app asks you to create an account in order to participate in the study you had requested.
- Create an account as it was described in Creating an Account section.
- When your account is created, you will be taken to study registration page, where you can read about the study.
- Press Register to participate in the study.
Most of the studies have certain target demographic. In other words, only people with certain characteristics are eligible to join the study. For example a study related to foodborne illness between residents of Saskatchewan might require participants to be resident of Saskatchewan to be eligible.
When you request to join a study which has an eligibility criteria, Ethica asks you a few questions before taking you to the registration page. Based on your response to these questions, Ethica evaluates your eligibility for the study. After that it either takes you to the registration page if you are already eligible, or it takes you back to home screen if you don't meet the criteria.
The following picture shows an example of eligibility survey. If you receive this survey while trying to register in a study, respond to the questions and then press Submit. Ethica automatically evaluates your eligibility and takes you to the nest step.